Careless Smoking Leads To Fire At Denny's
By Public Information Officer Bill Rehkopf
November 29, 2019

Sykesville fire crews, assisted by mutual aid units, extinguished a building fire at Denny's Restaurant on Ridge Road Friday morning.

Captain 12 (Polikoff) arrived on the scene in Duty 12 moments after the 6:01AM dispatch time to report a working fire on the exterior of the building working its way into the eaves, requesting the Rapid Intervention Dispatch.

Crews worked inside and outside of the building to extinguish the fire, open up walls, ceilings and parapets to check for extension, and to ventilate the building.

It was determined that the careless discarding of smoking materials was the cause of the fire. There were no injuries.

Sykesville fire officials remind the public to take the time to properly dispose of smoking materials. Had the fire gone undetected for even a few more minutes, it could have resulted in serious damage to the restaurant.

Units: Engine 123, Tower 12, Medic 128, Duty 12, Chief 12-1 (Dennis), Chief 12 (Ruch)
Mutual Aid: Gamber, Winfield, Reese, West Friendship, Baltimore County

Austin November 29, 2019 at 7:54 AM
I imagine this means Dennys is closed for a few days.

Barb November 29, 2019 at 9:45 AM
Thank you Fire Fighters for what you do and risk your own lives every time you go out.
Thank you.