Sykesville Freedom District Fire Department

Make A Donation

Upcoming Events

There are currently no events


2019 Call Stats
FIRE EMS
January 132 252
February 140 263
March 134 304
April 107 251
May 126 310
June 106 276
July 162 279
August 45 71
September
October
November
December
Total 952 2006

2019 Unit Run Stats
Unit Responses
Medic 127 948
Medic 128 932
Medic 129 77
Engine 123 228
Engine 124 129
Tower 12 95
Squad 12 94
Duty 12 116
Utility 12 207
Brush 125 40
ATV-12 7
Total 2873

Past Responses
Year Fire EMS
2018 1550 2905
2017 1423 2850
2016 1469 2761
2015 1427 2852
2014 1006 2619
2013 828 2123
2012 764 2261
2011 864 2139
2010 859 2215
2009 1017 2182
2008 835 2127
2007 1057 1966
2006 1071 1947
2005 960 1849

Web Counters
Website Visitors
Since
January 1, 2012
3,479,466
Visitors Today
Aug 25, 2019
348

Facebook

Legacy Hall

Happy Birthday SFDFD!!
Email Print RSS Facebook Twitter

By Public Information Officer Bill Rehkopf
September 21, 2018

Sykesville Freedom District Fire Dept by W.F. Church (Carroll Sun, Sunday, May 12, 1985)

On July 22, 1933, the Hugg mansion, a century-old landmark a short distance from Sykesville on the Howard County side of the Patapsco River, was destroyed by fire.

The blaze was discovered about 9:30p.m. Saturday while the town was filled with weekend shoppers. By the time the nearest fire company, from Ellicott City, reached the scene, the 34 room structure, containing period furniture of one of the area’s early and affluent families was beyond saving.

The sudden destruction of the Hugg mansion brought to Sykesville residents the realization of the town’s vulnerable position in the event of fire. Sentiment began building. In its issue of September 14, 1933, the Sykesville Herald reported that a movement was afoot to organize and equip a volunteer fire company.

A week later (September 21, 1933), 20 young men signed up as members and voted to form the Sykesville Volunteer Fire Company. They elected these officers: J. Marion Harris, President; H. Lester Phelps, Vice-president; Celius L. Brown Secretary; J. Nevin Ports, Treasurer, and Leo F. Chrobot, Chief.

The company’s first fund raising venture was a Tag Day Sale on Saturday, September 24, 1933. The sale, suggested by local clothing merchant James Korb, was of small red lapel tags, printed on a hand-fed press in the Herald shop by the late W.S. Church. Price of the tags was a “silver donation,” for it was a time of severe economic depression and money was tight.

The town had been without a bank for two years, following the Central Trust Company crash. Most tags went for 10 to 25 cents. A local physician, Dr. D. B. Sprecher, sent a volunteer’s spirit soaring by contributing a dollar. At day’s end, the tag sale had netted the sum of $51.25, the first money ever raised for the new fire company.

Shortly thereafter, the company began use of the garage in the picture at the left. The building still stands today as, appropriately, Firehouse Creamery.

It was the humble beginning of a volunteer outfit with much larger areas of service in its future.


Comment Comment 0 Comment(s)


Website Designed and Hosted By: Content Proudly Maintained By: Contact Info:
Firehouse Solutions
www.FirehouseSolutions.com
Sykesville Freedom District Fire Department
6680 Sykesville Road
Sykesville, Maryland 21784

Emergency Dial 911
Non-Emergency: 410-795-9311
E-mail: info@sykesvillefire.org
Copyright © 2019 Firehouse Solutions (A Service of Technology Reflections, Inc.)